Scrooge McDuck, Disneyworld and Disneyland

Martin Andrew mandkandrew at optusnet.com.au
Sat Apr 4 13:04:14 CEST 2009

For the DCML digest

>From various friends and family visits to Disneyland and Disney World it
appears Disney has very little support for anything to do with the
characters created by Carl Barks.  I don't know if Disney have a 'wasn't
invented here' syndrome but I for one would purchase Scrooge McDuck, Beagle
Boys, Junior Woodchucks and Gyro Gearloose merchandise.  I still wear my
Scrooge McDuck gold tie pin I bought in Disneyland in 1995, even if it is a
little worse for wear after going through an industrial clothes dryer.  If
the theme parks don't support the characters how can a publisher garner
support for the titles and vice versa.

I would purchase a silk Carl Barks or Don Rosa Scrooge McDuck tie and a
Beagle Boys one with the correct colours.  I have worn my Italian Scrooge
McDuck tie, wrong colours and all, to various prestigious university
conferences, seminars and functions, a parliamentary function, and business
conferences since 2002 around the world and have had nothing but
compliments.   I just believe this is a market being missed out on.

Cheers,

Martin Andrew