Location, location, location (and quality)

Arthur arthurdewolf at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 20:03:42 CET 2009

Robert Hutchings wrote:
> With respect to where Gemstone comic books are sold—comic shops, Barnes
and Noble, etc.,
> I have to believe that the folks at Gemstone know that the lack of
visibility is a critical issue.

Back in 2002, when Gemstone announced that they were planning to start
publishing Disney comics, there were some interviews with the owner Steve
Geppi where he laid out his plan for distributing the comics to stores like
Wal Mart and Target. At that time he seemed pretty confident about being
able to do this. I wonder what went wrong and why this didn't happen.
Gemstone comics are being sold online at Amazon.com, Walmart.com etc, but I
don't think that's what he was talking about.

Here are a quote from the interview with Steve Geppi at
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=1667

"Kuo-Yu Lang, our top guy at Diamond Book Distributors, has relayed to me in
his preliminary discussions with the Wal Mart's, Costco's, Target's and
Barnes and Nobles of the world that there's quite a bit of interest. One of
the luxuries we have on this side of first publication is that we can
solicit their input as to size and shape as it relates to their appetite for
purchase orders. We feel confident that we are going to get a good response
there and expect that they'll sell well."