Stories from different countries

Stefan Persson spe at inducks.org
Tue Feb 17 21:13:13 CET 2009

Harry wrote:
 > The only explanation that I currently have, is that:
 > - there must be some level of quality in writing *and* artwork;
 > - writer and artist must be the same person.
 >
 > That would explain why Barks, Rosa and Van Horn are regarded better than
 > other people, because outside the USA, stories written and drawn by the
 > same person are rare.

But a couple of days ago, someone listed Strobl stories among the good stories.
Stories drawn by Strobl were rarely written by Strobl.

I guess some stories may end up better if the writer and the artist are the same
person, because the artist will know exactly what the writer intended. On the
other hand, some other stories may end up much worse if the writer is the same
as the artist, especially if the writer can't draw or if the artist can't write.
Take Asterix as an example, which was (in my opinion at least) better at the
point when the writer was different from the artist, than at the point when the
writer and the artist were the same person.

I guess the explanation would be something like this instead:
- there must be some level of quality in writing *and* artwork;
- the writer and the artist don't have to be the same person;
- the availability of printed credits affects the quality of the stories.

Stefan
(who likes both American and non-American comic stories)