Globality and Translations

Francesco Spreafico francesco.spreafico at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 21:33:06 CET 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 01:56, Carl Lund <clund at cox.net> wrote:

> Donald say, "You already have a dog."  Western's did not.  Hence, the
> allusion to Bolivar/Bornworthy which, to me, makes the story better and
> richer.)

I don't get it. Was the reference to Bolivar in the original story? If
it was, Gladstone's version is better, if it wasn't Western version
is. It really is as simple as that. Adding references is always a bad
habit (even worse than removing them), and all translators should
refrain from doing that. And of course adding (or removing) references
has got nothing to do with the quality of the language. You don't
polish a rough translation by adding or removing references, you
polish it rephrasing sentences in better English.

--
Francesco