Globality and Translations

John Lustig john at lastkisscomics.com
Fri Feb 20 03:06:14 CET 2009

I've had my Disney stories translated into different languages and I've
also taken literal translations and re-scripted them--for Viz not
Disney. So I've thought about this issue a bit over the years. Sometimes
the literal translations don't make a lot of sense so you have to
improvise. It's not always the fault of the original writer. It's not
even necessarily the fault of the translator. Sometimes things just
don't translate. Of course, the person re-scripting the story should try
to respect the intent of the original writer. But I'd rather have a
good, new joke put into one of my scripts than have the re-writer try to
include a joke that just doesn't work in that culture.

On the other hand, sometimes stories stink to begin with. (Not mine, I
hope, but I'll leave that judgment to others.) In the early days of
Gladstone, the editor would often see great art for European stories;
order the art from Egmont or one of the other licensees and then receive
the translations only to see that the stories were less than wonderful.
(Or so I've been told.) Since Gladstone couldn't afford not to use the
art, the stories were rewritten.

Yes. The re-dialoguer should respect the original story--if it's
good--and try to stick as closely to it as possible. (I work hard on all
my stories. I don't want someone else mucking it up.) But if a story is
bad then the person doing the re-writing has a responsibility to improve
it...assuming he or she has the skill to do so. A gifted re-scripter
will almost always stick to the original storyline if it's a good story.
An untalented re-scripter is more likely to change every script--even a
great one.

So I'm more concerned with whether I get a talented re-writer than
whether he/she changes an occasional gag or inserts a new reference.
--

Best Wishes,

John Lustig

www.LastKissInc.com