Disney comic books overseas

Familien Enget abeenget at online.no
Tue Mar 31 14:54:46 CEST 2009

Hi!

I agree with Mike Devery it's sad Gemstone no longer publish the US Disney comics. For Egmont publishing the Norwegian, Danish, Finnish, Swedish, German, Icelandic, and most other European editions as well, it's all differnt. They have never had problems in the nordic countries, all I know. But they have aimed their audience towards kids and adults, not only adults, as I feel maybe Gemstone have done. Besides, superheros may be far more popular as comic books in the US. If kids care reading anymore...

Yes, The UK publish a Mickey Mouse weekly. I've bought it when over in the UK. I feel like buying porn from the newsstands as people stare at me as if I did. Mickey Mouse is a big format magazine, and more or less a kids' magazine, I feel. In Norway on the contrary, the weekly Donald Duck & Co, published since Dec 1948, is an all age periodical, and face good popularity. I think DD&Co is the number 2 best selling Disney comic book, right after Aku Anka in Finland!

I grew up on Donald Duck & Co. My parents, being teachers, bought it weekly. I taught to read by reading the issues. When I discovered WDC and DD and US on newsstands in the nearest city around 1980, they sold cheaper than the Norwegian edition, so on some point, after Gladstone had gotten the licence, this flow of US Disney comic books ceded. I think maybe Egmont protested against the sales of the US editions. Anyone that can confirm this?

I also have bought Gladstone's Disney comic books in Australia, after your own editions also at some point drained out. My mate in NSW have sent up some books on occations, too.

I hope someone with new ideas for bringing back the US Disney comic books to good old times, or even below, is entering the scene as soon as possible.

Erlend, Norway