Gemstone Sales

Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Thu Apr 15 18:36:28 CEST 2010

Leo,

> Thanks to Kneon Transitt for the figures on sales: it is interesting
> to see that Gemstone's Uncle Scrooge #623 had sales of over 7,000,
> but then immediately a decline took place, stabilizing to around
> 4,000 per issue.
>
> Anybody have any deductions (or de-duck-tions) as to why that
> happened?  Not enough Rosa stories, too many reprints,...?

I got no deductions, sorry to say. I just know that I went into the
Gemstone project with cautious optimism and came out disillusioned,
yet again, about the standard Disney characters getting any traction
in today's US comics market.

My biggest personal regret is that a couple of Duck scripts I arranged
for Gemstone from two of my favorite pro writers never wound up being
drawn. I like to think they would've paid off, modestly at least, but
now we'll never know.

Gary