Don Rosa's comic publications

Katja Kontturi katja.j.kontturi at jyu.fi
Fri Dec 17 15:48:34 CET 2010

Dear Olivier, and all!

At first I'd like to thank Olivier for quick response and the links to
webpages for ordering comics. I have spent this morning in InDucks
searching for the comics and publications I need and there seems to be a
quite good deal of Rosa published in collections, though there are several
stories found only in single comic magazines.
I will definitely check out those online shops (along with Amazon), so
thank you very much.
I also have a few friends in the States, so I think they will be willing
to help me in my Duck Hunt. :)

As for my thesis, in case other people are interested too: My subject is
both fantasy and mimesis in Rosa's comics. So I'm dealing with all the
different fantasy worlds he uses (lost/hidden valleys, space, past,
mythical places, "dreams", etc.), the fantastic elements, and how Magica
DeSpell and Gyro Gearloose bring their own fantasy/sci-fi to the stories.
As for the mimesis, it includes all the references to real people, events
and places, like Theodore Roosevelt, Jesse James, the sinking of the
Titanic and so forth.

I have already done my Master's thesis solely on the fantasy side (only
using the Finnish translations), so I have a good background to start. The
doctoral thesis is only in its beginning, so it'll take a few years to be
finished. :)
So far I haven't heard of any doctoral level research being done on Rosa
(or any Donald Duck comics). Feel free to correct me, if I'm wrong. :)

Best wishes, Katja

--
Katja Kontturi, FM
Tutkija, jatko-opiskelija