E-Books, More About

Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Tue Feb 23 18:37:45 CET 2010

Daniel:

> As far as I know, songs are also rentals. By "buying" a song of The
> Beatles,
> one will never own it. One only owns the vinyl it is printed on. The
> same
> for Disney comics. Buyers only own the paper on which someone else's
> (Disney's) intellectual property is printed.

I don't believe the "rental" idea really applies here. You don't
(normally) rent a vinyl record or a printed comic book and then return
it after a certain period. You buy and subsequently own that copy--and
the key word here is "copy." It's what the entire issue of copyright
revolves around.

Copying used to mean producing a physical duplicate, on paper or vinyl
or tape or what have you. These copies were--as they still are, for
the most part--sold, not rented. Sales and rentals are two very
distinct commercial transactions with their own rules and regulations
and never the twain shall meet. Just because the office chair I'm
sitting on was built to a design I had no input into, do not own, and
certainly have no right to duplicate, does not mean I don't own the
chair. It is precisely the same for a comic book or a vinyl record,
inasmuch as these are purchased in sale transactions that establish
the purchasers possession in perpetuity of that copy for its intended
purpose, i.e. reading or listening.

>  With digital copies this
> situation becomes very clear: one only owns the mp3-player or the e-
> reader.

I'm not so sure about this myself, but I admit it comes to the point
and you may very well be right in terms of how things will ultimately
shake out. There is, after all, little to nothing that's distinctly or
even definably physical about a digital copy. It's one reason I've
been very reluctant to do more than download legit e-book freebies up
to this point. If I actually pay money for an e-book, what am I buying
and under what terms am I buying it? Or am I indeed just renting, or
engaging in some new form of transaction that has yet to be adequately
codified?

Gary