Slippery Sales

Carl Lund clund at cox.net
Tue Jul 20 14:29:56 CEST 2010

> From:
> Francesco Spreafico <francesco.spreafico at gmail.com>
> Date:
> Tue, 20 Jul 2010 10:07:36 +0200
>
> To:
> DCML <dcml at nafsk.se>
>

> Personally, I only care about the quality of the stories, not where
> they're published. WDC&S currently prints the best stories created in
> maybe the last 20 years. So, with that, Boom is doing an excellent
> job. Of course I'm just talking about WDC&S here, starting with issue
> 703. If you're not buying you're missing something you should be
> buying, if you like Disney Comics.

Wow.  If I were unfamiliar with Disney stories from the past 20 years--I
assume you're limiting the criteria to those--and looked at the quality
of C&S my thought would be "No wonder Disney comics are in such bad shape."

Since I am a little familiar with those stories, I think instead that I
whole-heartedly disagree with that assessment as the quality of the
stories selected.  While some have their charms, as a whole there is
nothing in the same realm of excellence as Don Rosa's work.  For that
matter, Daan Jippes' re-drawings of Barks' Junior Woodchucks stories are
far better. Personally, I was never a fan of William Van Horn, but his
stuff was far better than what I'm seeing in BOOM's C&S as well.

The stories in C&S remind me a little bit of the stories in some of the
Western Publishing "funny animal" comics from my childhood (and older
copies from my dad's childhood).  They're interchangeable.  In the
Western days, even as a kid, I thought that there were stories that
featured, say, Bugs Bunny.  Those same stories could've (and sometimes
were) been retold with Porky Pig or Woody Woodpecker or, for that
matter, Mickey Mouse as the lead character without being significantly
changed.  They were all about plot and not about character (not that I
necessarily could explain the importance of characterization and
character development as a pre-teen).  Now an entertaining plot is
important, but without attention to character everything ends up reading
pretty similarly or at least pretty dryly.  That is probably the key
problem I see in all of BOOM's current stuff--including C&S which has
some stories that are entertaining, but I would never want to hold them
up as exemplars of the best Disney comics has had to offer in the past
twenty years.

Carl