Fantagraphics to publish Gottfredson's daily strips

August Yang wintermute at speakeasy.net
Sun Jul 25 20:23:46 CEST 2010

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2010/07/sdcc-10-fantagraphics-disney-to-release-gottfredsons-mickey-strips/

/Fantagraphics Books announced this afternoon from Comic-Con
International, via Twitter
<http://twitter.com/fantagraphics/status/19452763358>, that it has
partnered with Disney to publish the complete Mickey Mouse comic strips
by Floyd Gottfredson, the cartoonist renowned for his defining work on
the character. He is to Mickey Mouse comics what Carl Barks is to Donald
Duck comics./

/Gottfredson was 24 years old when he was assigned to the fledgling
Mickey Mouse strip in 1930, and continued to work on it for the next 45
years. During his long tenure, he introduced such characters as the
miserly Eli Squinch, Mickey's nephews Morty and Ferdie Fieldmouse, Chief
O'Hara and the Phantom Blot. Gottfredson retired in 1975, and passed
away in 1986 at age 81./

/Fantagraphics will begin releasing the collections in May 2011. No
other details were announced./

/*Update: *Douglas Wolk speaks briefly
<http://techland.com/2010/07/24/fantagraphics-announces-mickey-mouse-reprints/>
to Fantagraphics Publisher Gary Groth about the reprints./

In the interview, Wolk says "My plan and my hope is to reprint it
exactly as it was, with some explanatory text for a modern audience."
It's the "hope" part that could be a problem for uncensored strips.

August Paul Yang