re the ladylikenesses of Barksian ladies

nils at math.uio.no nils at math.uio.no
Wed Jun 2 15:51:37 CEST 2010

Daniel van Eijmeren discusses the Golden Apples and Rug Riders
in the Sky stories:

> It just struck me that this ending is similar to what Barks has said about
> the ending of the lost 'golden apples' story:
> "Daisy was so jealous that she was throwing things at Donald, and she was
> not acting in a ladylike manner." (1974 interview with Michael Barrier)
>
> According to Barks, in the same interview, this was the only excuse the
> editor gave him for rejecting the 'golden apples' story.
> So, I'm surprised that he made another story with such an ending. Or is
> Magica safe to use and Daisy not?

That makes sense -- but not entirely, as we've certainly seen
Daisy in somewhat nonladylike semiaggressive situations too?
Can we collectively manage to make a list of say five "ouch!,
Daisy is aggressive today" situations? In a one-pager I'm reminded
of now, inside one of the Four Color comics c. 1951 (?, I'll check
later on today), Daisy is a Bad Loser indeed, and is throwing
various objects (but not apples) at poor Donald.

But, by all means, Magica *is and remains and is meant to be*
a more terrifying figure than Daisy.

Nils Lid Hjort