[SPG:rpd=50] Happy Thanksgiving! (A Day Late!)

Chuck Munson chuckm_1962 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 26 18:31:29 CET 2010

A belated Thanksgiving greetings to everyone on the list.  Thanks Rich, for
sharing your cards with all of us.

For our friends outside the US, hopefully you are a little familiar with this
holiday that has its roots in the record of a meal. The meal occured in 1621 in
the Plymouth Colony in what became the state of Massachusetts. The English
"pilgrim" settlers and Native Americans whom they had befriended celebrated a
successful harvest from the previous spring and summer.  The pilgrims' arrival
year of 1620 and the winter of 1620-21 had been difficult for the settlers.  I
believe almost half of the group of roughly 120 did not survive to that first
Thanksgiving due to disease and malnutrition.  Today an estimated 20 - 30
million Americans can claim to have a pilgrim ancestor.  For which that alone is
quite a lot to be thankful.

Chuck