Mickey Mouse daily strips on D23

Tom Wormstedt t.wormstedt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 09:26:30 CET 2011

Hey All,
As frustrating as it is that strips are reprinted censored or missing - I am
at least glad that they're being reprinted, period.

I seem to recall that for a long time (at least here in the US) 1960s to
early 80s (before Gladstone) only a few instances (if at all) where Mickey
strips were reprinted.  The Smithsonian book, Abbeville Press books & some
scattered gag-a-day reprints.

When D23 reprinted the Death Valley continuities I saved every single strip
because I had only read it from April 1st to June 21st and wanted to read
the rest unaltered.  They skipped from the June 21st strip to Sept 19th.  I
used to their feedback form on D23 site and received this reply back.  The
original email and reply and is in bold.

August 4th, 2009

*I was very much looking forward to reading the Mickey Mouse In Death*
*Valley continuity that was being serialized on the website.  But it*
*seems a huge chunk of that continuity has been skipped and it's already*
*three months in to the story.*
* *
*There was a strip from June 21st, 1930 where Mickey & Minnie just got*
*off the train after a run-in with Pete & Sylvester Shyster.  I noticed*
*all of a sudden the next strip was on September 17th & it looks like*
*Mickey & Minnie are being picked up in a plane from Death Valley by*
*Minnie's Uncle Mortimer (who we thought earlier had just died?!?)  so we*
*don't how they got to Death Valley & what happened to Pete & Shyster or*
*everyone else...*
* *
*Would it be possible to put up these missing dates, so we all can read*
*it & see what happened?  It would be June 23rd - to September 17th...*
* *
*Thanks again for your great work*
**
*The reply I received back*
**

*Dear Tom,*

* *

*Thank you for contacting us.*

* *

*We are glad to hear you are enjoying the Funny Page.  We try to show the*

*comic strips in order but sometimes we are unable to do so.*

* *

*Regards,*

*Name?!?*

*D23 Guest Services*

**

There must have been another huge gap in a continuity where I wrote them
again -- I found this from Jan 5th, 2010

*Hello Tom,*

* *

*Thank you for your letter.*

* *

*In some cases we are not able to present select strips and are forced to*

*skip ahead.*

I was hoping that I could get a more specific response than these canned
can and can't tell people who ask up front why they won't reprint certain
strips.

I am glad that they're reprinting the strips though.  I'm crossing my
fingers that the collection comes out in May & is not held up in the middle
of production.  I'm wondering if this going to be a limited release like the
Treasures sets or a la Disney Vault.  Anyone from Fantagraphics on this
list whose *allowed* to comment since the book's not out yet?

Thanks,

Tom Wormstedt