Hobby Use

D.M. van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Tue Jan 24 12:44:23 CET 2012

GARY LEACH, 23-01-2012:

> Disney is hardly the only entity, corporate or personal,
> to take that position on intellectual property, but they,
> along with Apple, seem to be the standard bearers for
> "When In Doubt, Use Your Legal Clout". It's pretty much
> the way of the business world in these times.

I think that in practice, Disney is rather tolerant towards hobby use. The
internet is full of Disney images copied or created by amateurs. And I'm
grateful that Disney apparently doesn't mind about that. (Maybe they see it
as free advertising?)
Only when people make huge, high resolution galleries, Disney seems to
bother. And which company wouldn't.

Could Hergé (Tintin) be a better example of copyright holders being strong
on people using their images? I have from hearsay, that they really take
action when people use even a small portion of their property. But then
again, this is hearsay.

Best wishes,
Daniël