Times are tough

David Gerstein ramapith at gmail.com
Mon May 7 07:04:22 CEST 2012

> Just as it would be very interesting to know what Donald's *real*
> answer in the last panel of WDC 152 to the talking dog's "Times are
> tough, huh, bud?". Not "You're not kiddin'!" which again has been
> lettered distictively different.

	"Kiddin'," as well as the Y in "You're," look like Barks' own
lettering.
	I suspect the original answer, as broken-up by line within the voice
balloon, was

	You
	ain't a-
	kiddin'!

	...where the edit appears to have been done to improve Donald's
grammar.

	There are a lot of rather obvious reletterings in Barks comics from
the late 1940s onward. Here are a few that have always caught my eye.

	In "Ghost of the Grotto," unless I'm forgetting something, every last
reference to the armored man as a "ghost" are lettered in by Carl
Buettner. The actual "Ghost of the Grotto" lettered title in the
story's opening panel, and the story's entire opening caption, are
lettered by Buettner, too.
	It seems like all of the story's ghost references, including in the
title, were added by someone other than Barks.

	Starting with the second BRER RABBIT Four Color (OS 208), extreme
Southern dialect in some Disney comics was softened in the editing: so
the published "the," "that," and "then" were originally lettered as
"de," "dat," and "den," with the "th" being crammed into a space where
only a "d" previously stood.
	This becomes significant for Barks because it also affects "Lost in
the Andes"; in the giant SFX that spells out "Theah they blows!" on
page 29, one can see from the lettering and spacing that "Deah dey
blows!" was originally intended.

	In "Back to the Klondike," the surviving four panels of the original
Page 16 are usually printed as pics 1, 2, 7, and 8 - where pics 3-6
are the 1980s interpolation by Barks and Jippes.
	However, pic 2 contains an interesting clue as to what the original
page may have been like. Donald has just told Scrooge that Goldie
skipped town. In pic 2, Scrooge screams at Huey "Wouldn't you know it!
Someone owes you a billion dollars, /and/ they skip town *every* time!"
	The word "and" has been added in a non-Barks hand, with the voice
balloon roughly expanded underneath it so we can tell there was
originally no word in the balloon at that point.
	The only reason for this particular line of dialogue to lack an "and"
would be that it originally functioned quite differently on the page,
and in my mind this relates to the otherwise unexplained fact that
Scrooge screams at *Huey* - when as published, the bringer of bad
tidings one panel earlier was Donald.

	It's not hard to imagine the page working like this:

	Pic 1 [theoretical]
	Scrooge: "And that's the last I saw of Glittering Goldie! If she's
still around today, I wonder if..."

	Pic 2
	Donald: Hey! I've been talking to some old-timers! They say Goldie
left town years ago and hasn't been seen since!

	Pic 3 [theoretical]
	Huey: She musta skipped town 'cause she still owed you *money!*
People do that sometimes!

	Pic 4
	Scrooge: Wouldn't you know it! Somebody owes you a *billion* dollars,
they skip town *every* time!

	(And then imagine pics 5 through 8 as a more extended version of what
we see as pics 7 and 8 today. Present pic 7 looks like it may have
been cut down from a double-width...)

--
David Gerstein
ramapith at gmail.com