Porky Pig, .., restored panel

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Fri Dec 11 09:26:59 CET 1992

Per = Per Starback (obviously..)

Porky Pig
~~~~~~~~~
Harry> I don't think Barks ever made a Porky Pig cover (but if I'm
Harry> wrong, I certainly would like a description!).
Per> I found a notice on that issue of the Overprice Street Guide
Per> in an old issue of Carl Barks & Co.

I think it's number 7, right?

Per> I still think
Per> it's likely to be rather expensive.  Old price guides may not be in
Per> high demand normally, but anything Barksian is likely to have lots of
Per> eager collectors with lots of money, *sigh*.

I think you're right. I have seen a lot of Price Guides in Dutch comic book
stores, but _never_ the Barks issue.

A Death in the Family
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per> And another thing: The German Donaldist fanzine Der Donaldist let some
Per> artists illustrate the line "Hey, Daisy!  Whatever happened to
Per> Scrooge?"  In Don Rosa's illustration we see older versions of Donald,
Per> HDL, and Daisy at Scrooge's grave, and Rosa has extended Donald's line
Per> with "Is that what you asked?  His final adventure is a tale that will
Per> probably never be allowed to be told...  But it *was* a dilly!"  The
Per> gravestone reads "Scrooge McDuck / 1867--1967 / Fortuna favet
Per> fortibus".

I like this! The years, the text..

Gladstone index
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per> Left to be done:
Per> (..) plus some specials.

I hope Andrew Krieg is willing to share his Gladstone Album list with us..?

Restored panel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per> Finally a thing I forgot to ask about before: What is this about the
Per> last panel on page 3 of WDC 80 (Getting the Bees-nees)?  (Harry listed
Per> it as "restored" in the reprint in MD 13.)

I was waiting for someone to ask that... In Holland, the panel was missing
in the original prints. The Dutch editors have no idea why this panel was
missing (I asked them). Daniel van Eijmeren (a Dutch correspondent) owns
the Carl Barks Library. He noted that the panel there was of less
quality than the rest of the story. When looking very carefully, one can
see that the panel borders do not exactly match the rest of the page.
This and the quality difference lead us to the conclusion: the CBL people
must have used the same story version that the Dutch used. They must have
gotten the missing panel from somewhere else (maybe the original printed
comic), putting it back in its place after restoring it.

This may look like conjecture, but the evidence is strong enough for me...
(BTW: the MD 13 version is a coloured copy of the CBL version.)
If you don't agree, then delete the remark from the list (or add the text
'according to Harry').

--Harry.