Hometowns

rich.bellacera@amail.amdahl.com rich.bellacera at amail.amdahl.com
Sat Apr 17 11:03:00 CEST 1993

> From: 70304.2462 at juts
> >town in honor of Mickey.
>
> I don't know the origin of Mouseton, but this isn't it.  Sure, Marv
> Wolfman wrote a four part story entitled "The Weapons Master" (?)
> involving Prince Penguin, Bad Pete, and Emil Eagle.  But, the city
> is called Mouseton in the very first chapter.  The city isn't
> renamed after Mickey.  Besides, Mickey is too humble to accept
> such an honor.
>
> The name is not limited to Marv's stories.  Egmont also calls Mickey's
> hometown Mouseton.

Well someone else will have to answer that question, but I could swear I read
somewhere that the town was named after Mickey in honor of his bravery.  Oh
well.

> >Due to their conspiquos absence, I don't believe that Donald and
> >Daisy lived in the same comicbook town as Mickey and Minnie.
>
> Though I don't think its been stated explicitedly, it been implied
> implicetly that Donald and Daisey moved away.  Relize that there are
> two separate universes - one for Ducks and one for Mice.  I suspect
> that The Life of Scrooge will show Donald being born and raised in
> Duckburg.  This isn't a contradiction because they are two separate
> universes.

Yeah, I know for very practical reasons the Duck & Mouse Universes are not
the same, but there are indeed ocassional stories where Mickey & Donald or
even Minnie and Daisy get together.  Historically speaking, the two are both
from the same "cartoon" universe, which must mean something to the comic
books.  At least in my mind Mickey & Donald belong to the same comic/cartoon
reality, though I definitely don't think of them co-existing in the same
reality as Bambi or Ariel or Hiawatha, despite the fact that they all may
appear in a special comic together.  I see *these* stories as being the true
distortions of the seperate Disney universes.  I like to think of Mickey and
Don as just living in different towns these days.  I mean, despite the fact
that they rarely appear together anymore, both universes are still populated
by dognoses, pignoses, chickenfolk, catpeople, cowfolk and horsefolk.

> >However, since Goofy often did come around and assist Mickey, I take it
> >Goofy does, or at least did, live in Mouseton too.  According to Goof
> >Troop's premiere episode we witnessed Goofy and his son, Max's, move
> >form 'somewhere'(not told) to the hometown of Pete & Peg (Trudy?)
> >named Spoonerville.
>
> Don't mix comic books and animation.  They've got nothing to do with
> each other.  The Goofy of the Mouse Universe lives in Mouseton.  The
> Goofy of the Goof Troop Universe lives in Spoonerville.  If you want
> to know the origin of Spoonerville, watch the closing credits closely.

Yeah, I'm aware of the history behind Spoonerville's name, but what I was
commenting on was a "possible" explanation of where Goofy came from when he
moved to Spoonerville.  In fact, the actual dating of "Goof Troop" is much
later than the Mickey comics so I don't see any major discrepancies there.
As for mixing the comics and cartoons I don't see the great harm, atleast not
until there becomes a debate over some details.  For example, I think
DUCKTALES and Uncle $crooge could very well be somewhere within the same
timeline.  There are, of course some minor details like Duckworth is a dognose
in the cartoon, but in the comic his name is Dudsworth and he's a 'duck.'
Other things like the existence of Webby and Mrs. Beakley, and even Ma Beagle,
names for the Beagle Boys and Bubba Duck do not generally exist in Uncle
$crooge, but, I still don't see that as a contradiction, just a difference of
timing, and a little writer's perogative taken.  Things could be explained if
there ever was an attempt to make a cohesive universe.  Marvel and D.C. did
it, but I'm not really advocating that Disney/Gladstone follow that same
route.  If they did they would have to basically take what they wanted from
past issues of Disney comics and create something *new* since nearly every
story was independent from any of the others in existence. The cartoons were
the same way.  How many times did Mickey go out on a first date with Minnie?
(for example).  However, closing the gaps and explaining the inconsistencies
may be Disney's undoing since it will actually create walls and limitations
for the characters.  As they stand now, they can age in one story and be young
in the next.  They can be in the old west one, and be in the Carribean during
WWI in the next.  They can do anthing the writers and artists and such deem
necessary for the plot.  However, through all this mutable variance, the
characters remain static: unchanged.  Grandma never gets too old, HD&L never
grow up (permanently), etc.  As you can see I'm not a purest with respect to
seperating the characters.  I like for Mickey, Donald and Goofy to be able to
have adventures seperately or together without specific restrictions.
Obviously I like this freedom of creative writing since I also like Minnie'n
Me  and the Disney Babies which happen to be the very same characters but in
an alternate reality and age.  I see no harm in a tacit cohesion between the
Duck & Mouse universes, and even the Goof Troop and Darkwing Duck Universes.
They're not that far removed.  I can see where there might be difficulties in
incorporating the Talespin, Rescue Rangers, Bonkers, Gummi Bears, and
Marsupilami realities, but even that could be done (obviously I'm ruffling a
few purest's tailfeathers).  Everyone stay calm I'm just hypothesizing.

I kinda think of all of Disney's toons living in this universe called The
Disney Tooniverse.  Within it there are several towns and pocket dimensions.
Duckburg, Mousetown, Bugsville, Spoonerville, St. Canard and others are
certain towns on the Disney "Earth."  These roughly correspond to real towns
like New York or San Fransico, etc.  Within the Tooniverse is also the
seperate dimensions where Dumbo and Timothy live, another for Ariel and
Ursula, another for Snow White and Dopey, another for Little Hiawatha, another
for Jungle Book, etc.  Ocassionally, somehow some of the characters escape
into other dimensions and start a new reality (e.g. Baloo, Louie, Sher Khan
from the jungles of India to Cape Suzette, or Chip'n Dale).  Sometimes, some
of characters esscape into the more common planes, hence Jiminy Cricket or
Tinkerbelle, or even Mad Madame Mim run into Donald, Mickey and others.

Just some ideas.  Please no one get offended.  I'm just hypothesizing.

-Rich