Dutch Rosa, and "The continuing story of Grandma Duck"

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Mon Dec 13 20:58:05 CET 1993

Don wrote:
> 	Well, okay, your Oberon friend didn't say that the German script
> he had was a version of mine... but still, WHY would he not think that
> the English script that Egmont sends him is not my version. It IS my
> original version.

I don't know. When I talked to him, I assumed he didn't get YOUR english
version. We was kind of defending himself for my questions about bad
translations.

> 	The "proofs" you mention of Barks holding Grandma as being
> Donald's Grandma are the best -- how many proofs are needed? One proof
> is enough for... proof.

I'm just curious whether there is more. The Vacation Parade story was not
printed in Holland before 1966, so either they explicitly decided Grandma
to be Donald's mother (in the 50s), or they just "missed the evidence".

> But as for this idea of Grandma being Donald's
> mother or $crooge's sister which some European countries have adopted --
> what shred of evidence or reason exists to indicate anyone ever implied
> or intended this? Even if someone could say that there was no "proof"
> that Grandma is DD's granny, where would they find a reason to assume
> something else which isn't even suggested by her very name?

I always thought Grandma _was_ Donald's mother until _you_ told us
otherwise. And as I said, here name is "Grandma", and it is not unusual
(at least not where I come from) to call your mother Grandma when children
are around.

BTW: There is a Taliaferro daily strip where the nephews get Donald's school
report from Grandma. Would a grandmother save such things? Hm... maybe.

> And as for her being $crooge's sister,

OK, that's a different matter. Only after the publishing of the Italian
"origin" story by Marco Rota, the Dutch consider Scrooge to be Grandma's
brother. In Holland they have the same last name: Duck.

>	It's not that I think this is an issue of earth-shaking
> importance

I agree...

--Harry.