Digest #41

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at CompuServe.COM
Wed Jun 16 15:31:58 CEST 1993

COMMENTS TO #41:
	Well, looks like I do need to answer some questions this time.
	First off, do I see mention here of a need for an index to WDC&S? I indexed the ENTIRE contents of each issue of WDC&S from #1-400,
all the way down to the text features, years ago in RBCC when I was comic fandom's answer guy. DON'T ask me to upload it!!!!!
I guess I only mention it to aggravate everyone? But I'm constantly hearing of people launching in-depth indexes to Disney comics
even though they were all thoroughly indexed in the late 60s and early 70s (albeit in magazines that many current collectors are
not familiar with).
	Sotheby's. Of course, if Disney wasn't the bully it is, I could have HUNDREDS of pages of art in the Sotheby and Christie auctions.
And I WILL someday. But right Sotheby had TWO pieces of my art that I heard about -- one was a large color portrait of $crooge and
Goldie that I did for a fan about 5 years ago; when I heard they had it, I called and told them to withdraw it from sale as it was
not an authorized piece but was done for a fan who was supposed to KEEP IT, the lil' %#@$&... and they did pull it. The other piece
is the first drawings I ever did of $crooge and Donald which I sent to Gladstone in 1986 to show them I could (barely) draw. That
IS sortuva historic piece, eh? However, I don't recall ever giving it away (and I don't think I'd have ever sold it)... I suspect
it was stolen from me, but since I can't recall for certain there's not much I can do. I just hope somebody buys it who will appreciate
 it.
	I WILL be in Chicago. However, I might be hard to spot since Gladstone won't have a table, and I don't spend much time at my "artist's
table". Not having any ART, there isn't much point, eh?
	Atlanta. Are you people sure you want to hear about that? I was NOT a guest. I went incognito just to meet Barks for the first and
probably only time. I never talked to Bruce Hamilton, but word came through John Clark that Hamilton would introduce me to Barks.
I was rather shocked to see Hamilton touting me as a super-special guest as I had NEVER agreed to that or even talked to Hamilton.
My whole incognito idea is based on the fact that Barks does NOT like
f~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?~?o me. For whatever his reason, he has always treated me VERY coldly in our correspondence, and (I've discovered)
told everyone that he is very angry with what I do to his characters, how I  don't treat them even remotely accurately, and many other
remarks which it would be very easy to characterize as malicious lies. I can't figure him out, but I've gotten used to it after 6
years and I accept it. That's why I was very leary of imposing myself on him in Atlanta.
	I needn't have worried. Though EVERYONE knew I was there, and there ONLY to meet Barks, I waited all weekend and still received NO
invitation. I was royally snubbed in favor of all the millionaires and news people. I was quite hurt, but I had too much pride to go
begging to be introduced. At least I shook his hand in a crowd, but no words were passed between us in those 5 seconds.
	I'll stop short of telling you what sort of person Barks really is, according to the people that have dealt closely with him. It's
all hearsay for one thing.... and besides, you're all better off admiring his WORK -- you may not be able to admire the MAN.