Belgian Artists/Cartoonists

Jamal Hannah jamal at silver.lcs.mit.edu
Sun Mar 7 17:12:12 CET 1993

> ObDisney: Franquin has said that the main influences on him and other
> comic artists in the flourishing post-war period in Belgium (Peyo,
> Morris, ...) were "Walt Disney" and Herg'e (of Tintin fame, also from
> Belgium).
> --       "
> Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at student.docs.uu.se
>  "Life is but a gamble!  Let flipism chart your ramble!"

Interesting.. So this is a Belgian Phenomenon.  Dont forget "Attila Durgey"
(sp?)  from Belguim who did "Vuk", otherwise known as "The Little Fox"..
which seemed, at some point, to have almost Disneylike popularity over
there (they made some very nice stamps of the fox.)
I wonder if the Fantasy artist Mobius is Belgian?  And is the magazine
"Metal Herlant" (Euro version of "Heavy Metal) Belgian too?
(I seem to remember alot of subtle jokes about
Disney characters in issues of "Metal Herlant, just to keep this
relevant: mostly in the form of tributes by putting the characters in the
background.  However, I have seen far more tributes to Herge's work,
and the occasional Europian Intelligencia complaint about Disney
being too "kitschy"... Mad magazine used to do the same.)

                              -JH