Gladstone Comics Poop

Andrew Krieg 5-5379 krieg at ct.med.ge.com
Tue Nov 2 02:27:16 CET 1993

I just got the latest newsletter from my comics subscription company.  They
had the following review in their "Books You Should Not Miss" section.

Uncle Scrooge #285 - If you're a fan of Uncle Scrooge or just want to read
		     a darn good story, don't miss this issue.  This month
		     marks the beginning of the serialization of Don Rosa's
		     "Life of Scrooge."  Rosa is considered by many to be the
		     best duck artist since Carl Barks, and this may be
		     Rosa's best work yet.  The "Life of Scrooge" series is
		     presented in 12 chapters, with each installment running
		     15-28 pages.  Rosa will provide a new cover for each of
		     the 12 issues as well as commnetary about each chapter.
		     The initial installment, which runs 15 pages, shows
		     Scrooge's life as a youngster in Scotland and how he got
		     his first dime.  The history of Scrooge has never been
		     revealed before and I can't think of anyone better to
		     tell the story than Don Rosa.

There is also the following regular comics listings for books available in
February.

Donald Duck Adventures #25 - "The Hoard at the Rainbow's End," a 20-page
			adventure by Dutch artist Ben Verhagen, is the
			featured story this issue.  Follow Donald and the
			kids as they try to unearth an Asiatic treasure for
			Uncle Scrooge.

That sounds interesting.  Any of our Dutch readers care to comment on this one?

Uncle Scrooge #285 - Beginning this issue and continuing over the next two
			years, Gladstone reprints Don Rosa's anxiously
			awaited "Life of Scrooge" series - previously
			published in Europe - one chapter each issue for 12
			issues.  The first chapter details Scrooge's life as
			a young duck in Scotland, his dreams of riches and
			the acquisition of his "first dime."

2 years!!!  Aaaaaaaargggggh!  That's way too long, IMHO.  Make it monthly!!

WDC&S #590 - "High Flying Picnic" by Daan Jippes tells of Donald's ill-fated
			attempts to woo Daisy during a hot-air balloon
			outing.  Also featured is the final chapter of "The
			World of Tomorrow," a Mickey Mouse tale of post-war
			anxiety by Bill Walsh and Floyd Gottfredson.

Carl Barks Library of Donald Duck Adventures in Color Vol. 1 - This new
			full-color paperback series reprints Carl Barks' Duck
			stories from the original Dell "Donald Duck"
			four-color and regular series books, as well as
			selected tales from other sources.  Each book in the
			series comes with a trading card depicting a scene
			from a story in the accompanying book.  These cards
			will not be sold separately or in sets.  The first
			book features "Donald Duck Finds Pirate Gold", from
			"Donald Duck Four Color #9," Barks' classic
			collaboration with fellow artist Jack Hannah and his
			first official Donald Duck adventure.

Anyone know how many volumes in this series?  Is it monthly as well?  Between
that and the "CBL of WDC&S" I'll be shelling out mucho Duck dollars monthly
over the next few years.  And when they do the irregular special (like Xmas
tales, or Gyro), it'll go even higher!!

Carl Barks' Library of Walt Disney's Comics and Stories in Color Vol. 25 -
			Reprints WDC&S #160-164.