Boer/bore-pun in Swedish

Mattias Hallin Mattias.Hallin at jurenh.lu.se
Tue Nov 23 09:56:58 CET 1993

SPOILER WARNING!SPOILER WARNING!SPOILER WARNING!SPOILER WARNING!

Someone asked how the boer/bore pun in Lo$, Southafrican sequence, was handled
in the Swedish translation; the answer is "pretty well"!

This posed a problem for the translator, of course (I remember Stefan Di|s
moaning about it at that time! although as usual he enjoyed the challenge), and
what Stefan eventually came up with was this:

FG: "Jag {r boer!" (I'm a Boer)
U$: /aloud/ "Jaha?" (Oh?) /aside/ "Vad sa han? Bov?" (What did he say? Crook?)

It's not as "natural" or easy-flowing pun as the original, I don't think; it
might even be said to be just a teensy bit strained - the words "boer" and
"bov" really don't pronounce THAT similar in Swedish - but all in all it's an
honest attempt to solve an unsolvable problem; and I dare anyone to come up
with something better... I for one sure can't!

END OF SPOILER! END OF SPOILER! END OF SPOILER! END OF SPOILER!

All my quackinest!!!

Mattias