indexes on ftp (re: WVH index announcement)

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Fri Oct 1 09:39:54 CET 1993

Fredrik wrote:
> Harry and I recently joined forces to produce a American-Dutch-Scandi-
> navian William Van Horn index, similar to the Rosa index. I have sent
> this to Per and he has just added it to the FTP archive. Therefore, it
> won't be necessary to post the entire index here, but I will include
> the final part about what is yet to be done. I hope that some other
> members out there will have some of this information and is willing to
> provide it.

There is already a lot of new information, not only from David, but also
from Ole (ROC) who updated the 'disney.index' and 'gladstone.index' files
on ftp. We have an almost complete Gladstone index now!

On this moment, the ftp site contains ".old" and ".new" files for some
entries. This is because some people updated some files simultaneously.
I merged those files yesterday and sent them to Per, so there will be only
one version per file soon.
Thanks to Fredrik and Ole for the updates!

This brings me to the various indexes we have: some of them list all stories
of a particular artist (don-rosa, Van Horn, Barks, Gottfredson), while some of
the indexes are by publication (Gladstone, Disney, Crone's Dell index,
the Dutch and Danish indexes) or by code (the MM newspaper indexes, the
ar-index [new file on ftp], and maybe the Disney Comics index David was
talking about). [David: I would like to have a copy of that list!]

Maybe it is time to re-arrange some of the information, because a lot of
information is listed 3 or 4 times (especially story credits).
One solution would be to give each story a unique code (mostly the story
code, but in case of newspaper strips, an own code would be easier), and
make indexes by story code.
Such "story code indexes" (D-index, H-index, AR-index etc.) would list
the credits, number of pages, an original title (or always an English
title?), and the exact dates in case of a newspaper strip.
Then the "indexes by publication" will contain only a story code, and maybe
a title. For stories of unknown origin, the "index by publication" entry will
still contain all information it contains now.

We could make programs to generate complete "indexes by publication", or
indexes by artist, for whoever would want those.
As far as I'm concerned, one thing is for sure for this moment: the
"don-rosa" index will remain on ftp as a separate file!

What do you all think? In which form would you like to have the indexes? I
have the impression that only a few people actually get those files from ftp.
Is that so?

--Harry.