Mickey & Scrooge

James Williams James_Williams at ess.niaid.pc.niaid.nih.gov
Wed Oct 6 14:15:50 CET 1993

I was re-reading Mickey Mouse in Color last night.  One of the larger
articles deals with how the great depression affected Mickey Mouse's
character.  During the 30s, he came to represent the comman man vs.
the greedy and evil businessman.  Gottfredson's 'Race to Riches' is a
classic example of this.  In it the bank (and later Eli Squinch) are
foreclosing on Clarabell's home.  The police appear twice.  One time
they are an incompetent group who has been robbed by Eli and Pete.  The
other time, they wrongly arrest Mickey and Horrace.

While thinking about this, something very interesting dawned on me:
Mickey Mouse and Scrooge McDuck are anthises of each other.

Has anyone else ever though about this?