Books and Jim Fletcher.

Per Starback starback at Minsk.DoCS.UU.SE
Wed Sep 15 22:51:38 CEST 1993

me> Probably there are several subscribers who just have a passing
me> interest in Disney comics and skim through the messages looking for
me> something that might be of interest to them.

Harry> How many people would be like me: reading all messages,
Harry> printing and filing them, and then re-read them several times?

That sounds abnormal to me. :-)

So you never got Becattini's Dell Index?  When I ordered the daily
strip index from the same source nothing happened for a long time.  I
wrote a letter about once every three months asking about it, and then
out of the blue when I'd almost lost my hope I suddenly got it.  Maybe
you should write them and remind them?  (Not that I know if that
helped, though.)

Well, I know nothing about Jim Fletcher except what is said in that
book so I can't say anything about his drawing style, but he did many
of the Mim & Magica stories, so he might be the one you're looking
for.  Becattini writes:

" Jim FLETCHER (c. 1930s -)
"
" Nee James Fletcher
"
" (a) GOLDEN PRESS/WHITMAN Hardbacks: 101 Dalmatians (Tell-a-Tale,
" 1960); Huckleberry Hound (1963)
" (a) WHITMAN Coloring & Activity Books: The Flintstones Coloring
" Book (1960s)
" (p) Disney comics for overseas: Donald Duck, Uncle $crooge,
" Mickey Mouse & Goofy, Morty & Ferdie with Molly, Chip'n'Dale,
" The Li'l Bad Wolf, The Swamp Folk (Brer Rabbit), Mad Madam Mim &
" Magica De Spell (1963-68)
"
" Comic Book credits:
"
" GOLD KEY/WESTERN: Funny Animal & strips c. 1962-64 (p)
"  (DISNEY) Donald Duck (#85, 1962)
"  (HANNA-BARBERA) The Jetsons, Touch'e Turtle et al. (Early 1960s)
"
" Also (p/i) ETERNITY COMICS (Earthlore) 1986-87 ?

I think we mentioned his name here before when this very text was our
source for Molly's English name.  The easiest thing to look up of
those things seems to be DD 85, but I don't have it.  It's not in the
Dell Index, as that's the first non-Dell Donald Duck, and the DD#85
entry in Kjell Crone's index is incomplete, so I don't know where it's
published here in Sweden either, and there is nothing with code DD 85
in your Dutch index.  Oh, well... Fabio seems to know more about him,
right?

Fabio> BTW, what about starting an archive list about all the books ON
Fabio> Disney comics? It would be very interesting, I think...

Sure.  Here is an incomplete beginning, not very consistently set out:
Of course there are more, but it's still a pretty finite amount of
books.  A bibliography that would include items from magazines would
be something else altogether...

Barrier, J. Michael:
	Carl Barks and the art of the comic book. 1981.
	ISBN 0-9607652-0-4 (Hardbound), 0-9607652-1-2 (Paperback)
	Strongly recommended.  *The* book on Barks. /PS

Calisota Handbook on the Works of Barks and Rosa.
	Calisota 5601 20th Ave. N.W. Naples FL 33999.
	Includes index to Barks reprints, Gladstone reprints of Barks,
	a list of Don Rosa Disney comic book stories, detailed list of
	Mickey Mouse serials from WDC and a chart listing by year and
	month all issues of WDC.
	Price: $3.50 plus 50c postage/handling.

Becattini, Alberto:
	Disney Index : Comic Books -- Vol. 1
	Italy 1992 (?), 1,000 numbered copies.
	Index of Disney Dell comic books, A--M.
	Can be bought from
		Al Fumetto Club
		Via G. Della Casa 12R
		50142 FIRENZE
		ITALY
	Volume 2 planned to appear in the near future.

Donald Duck Comic Book Index.
	Launch Pad Publications 835 Merillon Ave. Westbury NY 11590.
	Price: $20 (postpaid).  Make checks payable to Joe Torcivia.
	Includes story titles, character appearances, and
	artist/writer credits (if known) from Dell to Gladstone.

Becattini, Alberto & Luca Boschi
	Disney Index: La produzione sindacata
	Italy, 1984.  Index of Disney comic strips and Sunday pages.
	500 numbered copies??  (Is it?  Mine says so, but it isn't
	numbered.)
	There is also a second edition of this book.

Per Starback, Uppsala, Sweden.  email: starback at student.docs.uu.se
 "Life is but a gamble!  Let flipism chart your ramble!"