Thanks!

Hans.Koehling.Pedersen@HOSTESS.GRAPHICS.CS.CMU.EDU Hans.Koehling.Pedersen at HOSTESS.GRAPHICS.CS.CMU.EDU
Thu Sep 16 05:10:18 CEST 1993

Having been "a quiet lurker" on this list for a looong time, I thought that
the ***100th*** list would be a nice opportunity to thank Per for all the
work he has put into this. Also thanks to David, Torsten, Harry, Gilbert,
James, Wilmer, Andrew, and certainly not least to Don Rosa for having
made many lonely nights at school a little more enjoyable!

As most of you subscribers to this list probably know most of Barks'
work, I think it could be fun to hear more about which stories you
think are the best. I can't remember that we have had such a vote on
the list before; forgive me in case I missed it!

Anyway, here are my own favorites:

 Story:                    Motivation:

 1. Lost in the Andes       What else? I still remember the day I read
		            this one for the first time. Without doubt
			    Barks' greatest and most original adventure.

 2. Only a Poor Old Man     Scrooge became a 3D character. Ingenious and
		            sensitive story. Barrier mentions that Barks
	                    was having serious personal problems when he
	                    wrote this, which makes it's quality even more
	                    remarkable.

 3. Race to the South Seas  Gladstone got his personality in this
		            story (not counting the earlier "Golf Game"
	                    story from WDCS ?, where he was just "lucky").
 			    The story also added depth to Donald's
	                    character, as he got a hitherto unseen amount
			    of sympathy from the reader.

 4. Luck of the North       The first ten pages are probably Barks' best
                            work ever. He demonstrates an incredible amount
                            of control over his protagonist character. The
	                    page where Donald without saying one word shows
                            his growing regret is ...

 5. Frozen Gold             The first successful long story. A bit primitive,
	                    and that's why I like it so much.

 6. Old Castle's Secret     Another masterpiece from the "adventure" period.
                            Has a lot of atmosphere (I read it for the first
	                    time back in 1975, when I was 8, and I _really_
                            believed that the ghost was "real").

Well, didn't quite make the top 10 I was aiming for. Still, I think it would
be fun to hear more about why you guys like Barks (especially from the other
quiet lurkers!).

Back to work...

- Hans