DISNEYANA CONVENTION

Steve Back Tel X 1783 sback at astro.ge.com
Tue Sep 21 16:38:22 CEST 1993

Now this gets me angry!

In his latest posting Don Rosa, attacks (in a hateful manor)
Disneyanna fans. Though there is a small germ of truth that SOME
people who collect Disneyanna ONLY do it for perceived profits and
value, but Don lumps all Disneyanna fans in that same bucket and
tosses in a few additional flames as well. I have gone to a number of
these conventions and they are FUN. In fact the people who get the
least out of the conventions are the ones who only are there for the
money. The rest (majority) are deep fans of many things about Disney
(not just comics).
And yes we do wear blinders about all the 'horrible' things Disney has
done in order to be a profitable company and forgive them for the
'sins' of being successful. But the fans that go to the convention are
FAR from ignorant of the history of the company and the characters.
Don's episodic descriptions of an encounter with one fan, who was a
duck fan but never read the comics, is hardly the norm. Sometime while
reading his posts I wonder if Don likes any group other than his own
set of fans. (There seems to be a running theme of disdain in many of
Don's letters about many groups, Disney, Americans, Carl Barks fans...)

By the way I expect to get a few e-mail flame for saying even this much
because I dare to complain about some of the things that Don Rosa has
written about. Any complaints along the line "how dare you scold Don,
he's a celebrity and you might scare him away!" will go promptly to
/dev/null. I do not think I should need to explain why.

Steven Back
sback at astro.ge.com