Uncle Scrooge

Torsten Wesley Adair torsten at cwis.unomaha.edu
Thu Sep 23 00:40:59 CEST 1993

On Wed, 22 Sep 1993, Mark Semich wrote:
> When I first read Uncle Scrooge comics in my youth, I heard Scrooge in
> my head with an American accent.  Now that Disney has decreed that
> Scrooge has a Scottish accent (and has produced films in which
> Scrooge has this accent), I've actually started to "hear" Scrooge
> with the occasionaly Scottish accent when I read the comics.
> Sometimes I am surprised by this, as I still remember Scrooge with his
> old voice.

When I read the comic book, I don't "hear" the characters' voices.  Donald
does not spit or lisp (?) when he speaks, Scrooge has a normal American
voice, and HDL do not sound like children.

> I'd be curious to know how Don Rosa and other people involved with the
> comic book think of Scrooge's accent, and if there is a general
> preference...

The easiest way to denote an accent in writing is to change da spellin' uv
da letturz so dat da readurz kin undahstands dat chur writin' in, uh,
di-uh-lekt, and not Uhmurican.

Scrooge did appear in a few educational Disney shorts in the fifties or
sixties.  I don't know what his accent was.

Torsten Adair	torsten at cwis.unomaha.edu	Omaha, NE, USA
						(#1 in announcer exports)
						((no accent))