Disney-comics digest #108.

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Fri Sep 24 02:18:09 CEST 1993

	Dear Folks,

	LO-OO-ONG digest today!  Boy, just the kind of thing to top
off my day!  Great to hear *so much* from my fellow duck fans... and
the occasional Mouse fan;  we can always use *more* you know!  (If
anyone here isn't familiar with the works of the great Gatsby -- er,
Gottfredson -- just buy your choice of:  WDC&S 582-83, 587-Present;
MM 219-239, 241-244, 246-249, 251-253.)

	I'll take ye on one at a time:

	Mark Semich:  Yeahhh, where *did* you get that quote?  I
assumed it was from one of Don Rosa's stories!  (And it seemed funny
that I couldn't remember *which* one!)

	Ole Reichstein:  Swell to hear that someone's found "my"
stories (i. e. the Danish/Dutch stories I've translated).  Sadly, I
still haven't dug up the code numbers for any others, but I can give
summaries of a few... maybe you'll know them.
	"His Master's Voice" (Branca, maybe in the issues numbered 2.91 or
thereabouts?) (Scrooge as Donald's butler)
	"The Hoard at the Rainbow's End" (Verhagen) (Donald travels to
the Oriental country of Onamatapang in search of an empress' treasure)
	"Bornworthy's Job" (Branca, circa issue 51.89) (Bornworthy is
trained to deliver mail to snowbound miners)
	"E. A. T." (Branca, circa late 1989) (The Beagle Boys steal a
money-eating Alien from Gyro Gearloose)
	"The Rarest Dog in the World" (Vicar, *perhaps* D89000)
(Scrooge is in search of a wooly Goat-Hound in feudal Nomoola)
	"Bugged by Humbug" (Verhagen) (Donald is swindled by a phony
exterminator)
	On one story which I did way back when for *Disney Comics*
(which bought my first three and never printed them... now Gladstone
gets to), I didn't know it at the time but Bob Foster'd already bought
Gary Gabner's version.  "A Sense of Humor" (DiDDA 25) was called "All
the World's a Prank" in my version, and excellent as Gabner's version
was, it still meant that my personal favorite line of *any* of my
dialogs will never see print, as no one had any real reason to buy my
version of the story!!!  Donald to gym owner Charles Hapless
(which is what I called him) as he sprays him with water from a trick
flower:  "Here's where May flowers bring April showers!  Getting that
washed-out feeling?"

	Wilmer Rivers:  Ah, but the quail (formerly an eagle) as
printed in WDC&S 579 was a *giant* quail.  (The word "giant" wasn't in
the original, either.)  Can't say that'd make him tougher eating,
though.  The original version, by the way, is not banned;  Disney just
chose to change that one printing.  In CBL Album #12 (is that the
one?) the story appears with the eagle staying an eagle.  Same exact
color job as WDC&S 579, though.
	WDC&S 566 featured the Barks story "Will o' the Wisp" (is that
from WDC&S 159?).  In perhaps the most infuriating example of what Len
Wein would do to stories, when Scrooge takes out his "book of devious
strategems," Wein went in and actually lettered that phrase *onto* the
book as its *title*!!!!!!!!!!!!  Bob Foster had nothing to do with
that.  In the same story, Scrooge's top hat was redrawn so that it
wasn't partially covered by a word balloon in the first panel.
	WDC&S 575 featured Barks' Olympic try-out story.  The Olympic
Committee blackmailed Disney into paying a hefty fee to them for
permission to use any Olympic-themed stories (Gladstone just printed
some... didn't matter four years earlier!), then insisted on editorial
control, so the story was *butchered*.  This one has too many changes
for me to go through right now.

	Don Rosa:  The earliest story I ever saw your D. U. C. K. in
was "Nobody's Business" (US 220), on some comic book Gladstone was
reading during the story.  Were you under the impression Gladstone had
deleted that, or just the one in "Son of the Sun"??

	Per Starback:  On Gladstone's Carl Barks Heroes and Villains
Trading Card #16 (or whatever the one is for Bombie), the
illustrations from "Voodoo Hoodoo" are the original, unchanged
versions.  John Clark tells me he's going to try to coax Disney into
letting him use the original version when the story's printed in his
upcoming Carl Barks Library Album DD One-Shot series, too.
	I always imagined Scrooge having a Scottish accent, but not
one half as strong as it is in "DuckTales".  Scrooge not only speaks
with some Scottish dialect in OS 186, but also in some of the 1960s
Barks stories, which of all the CB material obviously had the greatest
influence, unfortunately, on "DuckTales".
	In England, Goofy doesn't speak in written-out hick dialect, a
real shock to me!  As Goofy himself once said about his cousin Arizona
Goof's normal English, "Seems tuh me he got some kind o' speech
impeddyment."

	Speaking of speech impediments,

	B'dee-b'dee-b'dee... That's all, Folks!

	David Gerstein

	(Don't get after me for that last bit... Barks did do a Porky
Pig story, after all!  And he sure does a *good* Porky!)