Scrooge's money once again (Re: Disney-comics digest #288.)

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Tue Apr 5 11:09:54 CEST 1994

TORSTEN:

> (One more note for new subscribers.  Disney Comics refers to comicbooks
> published by Disney (sometimes referred to as "The Dark Ages"), whereas Disney
> comics (small "c") refers to all comicbooks published for Disney.)

... and disney-comics (all small, with '-') refers to this mailing list 8-)

> I was also surprised that Scrooge, a brilliant bussinessman, didn't
> realize the mistake of doubling money each time.

I haven't read this Disney version, but the idea is actually from the classic
Greek (can't remember where, but we learned this 'trick' on school).

> 	(After five minutes with a calculator and pen, the sum that Scrooge
> would own Donald would be      $184,467,440,737,095,516.16

With a calculator? What are you people using your COMPUTERS for? Just for
sending and reading mail?

> 	This reminds me of a subject which I haven't seen here yet.  How much
> money is in Scrooge's moneybin?

After all the discussion about that, I can only add a few things:
	In "Island of the Menehunes", Donald actually says the total amount
of money. In the Dutch translation it is:

f 500000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000,16

(which is a 5 with 77 zeroes, and the 'f' stands for 'guilders'.)
I'm sure the English version must have had something like that, because
Dutch translations were very close to the original at the time.

	A possibility: Scrooge has the money in his bin as a pledge (is this
the right word?) for his businesses. Just like our national banks have
cellars with gold. If he loses the money in his bin, he loses (most of)
his other belongings.

--Harry.