Italian Gottfredson reprints

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Wed Apr 13 02:08:57 CEST 1994

	Dear Folks,

	Fabio said:  "Well, the newstands edition [of a completely
uncut "In Search of Jungle Treasure," made from original proofs, which
also was published in 1991 in Germany] came out in the late-Eighties,
but the whole 1930-1945 run first appeared as a collector's edition
some years before, around mid-Eighties."

	Please, Fabio, tell me the name of this collector's edition,
who published it, and most importantly, what the printing quality is
like on the earliest (1930-33) strips.  I think this would be very
useful to Gladstone, PARTICULARLY if the strips are in black and
white.  If the strips are as clear and as perfect-looking as those for
"In Search of Jungle Treasure," well, here's Gladstone's source for
proofs.  (Never mind that they're in Italian, I know how to get around
that...)  Is the quality of the strips all good?

"Besides that, there was another edition of FG's stories during the
years 1970-1972 (almost all the 1930-1945 stuff), in an series of
oblong comics (just two strips per page) called "Topolino d'Oro",
even if this edition was b&w: does anybody know if this edition was
reprinted anywhere?  Just curious..."

	This edition is apparently heavily censored, just as the
earlier stories in IO TOPOLINO (and its American edition, the
Abbeville MICKEY MOUSE) are.  It is no doubt far, far inferior to the
mid-Eighties set you described.

	Your friend,

	David Gerstein

	"I'm de Fuller Brush Man!  I'm givin' g'way free semple!"
	<David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>