Marvels and Whitmans

Tryg Helseth trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Sat Apr 30 15:39:57 CEST 1994

MARVELS:

David Gerstein wrote:

>	But Marvel NEVER ships them UNCLE SCROOGE.  NEVER.  Whenever
>it's the month for DDA/WDC&S/US, which are supposed to be a week
>apart, there's always a 1-week break where WDC&S should be, and then
>it comes, alone, the next week when there should also be US.

I haven't been following the Marvel distribution of Gladstones, but the few
racks I checked didn't have any Disney titles.  Does Marvel now have its own
distribution, or do they sub-contract to local news agencies.  Before direct
distribution, the only game in town here (Minneapolis) was Gopher News
Agency.  If they didn't carry it, you didn't get it.

>	In airports, there are racks of comics sometimes.  When the
>rack only has, say, space for 8 different comics, Marvel will NEVER
>put Disneys in it.  But if it has 12 titles, there's at least one
>place for Gladstones... sometimes two.

I'm sure they will always give preference to their own characters comics.
That is the problem with the racks I've seen--they are too small and
so Gladstone gets squeezed out.

>	A newsstand at a mall [...] DO get US, [...]  It's clear that,
>like most places, they remove DDA when DD comes upand vice versa... same
>with Scrooge titles.

I never did understand why Gladstone gave those comics such similar titles!
It is confusing to me at times, so it's no wonder that the folks refilling
the racks never bother to make the distinction between them.

WHITMANS:

Don Rosa wrote:

>	Somebody was mentioning those awful Whitman Disneys. Yeah, they
>sucked, but, [...] I would be very grateful to get any of these -- maybe
>even do someone a Duck drawing (in addition to paying) if they can supply
>me with any of these, ESPECIALLY the UNCLE $CROOGE issue I lack.

>	UNCLE $CROOGE #179
>	DONALD DUCK #222 243
>	WDC&S #480

Well I was all set to send in my request for a drawing of Gyro until I
checked my records and realized I was missing the same comics!  (I may,
however, have DD 243, and many of the other titles (MM, HD&L, D&D, SG, C&D,
WtP...)  I'll look for those this weekend...

Tryg Helseth  <trygve at maroon.tc.umn.edu>   Minneapolis, MN, USA
          or  <tryg.helseth at tstation.mn.org>

"I wish they all could be Calisota Ducks!" -The Beach Drakes