Disney-comics digest #515.

DAVID.A.GERSTEIN 9475609 at arran.sms.edinburgh.ac.uk
Thu Dec 8 21:09:32 CET 1994

      Greetings, all.

      ERIC:  Ring them bells!  So "Two in One" has appeared in
Germany now!  I'll quick phone my chums in Germany and have them make
appropriate arrangements.  Thanks a LOT.  And from the incantation,
it sounds great already.  Maybe "Mythological Menagerie" got a bad
treatment, but I generally like the flavor of the German translations
very much.

      GEIR:  If you'll toss a copy of that Carl Barks & Co. issue
into the box with the Gottfredson xerox copies, I'd be immensely
grateful and will add $3 to the check.  Please remember to send
the lot to my new, EUROPEAN address:
      David Gerstein, Room 133, Masson House, Pollock Halls, 18
Holyrood Park Rd., Edinburgh EH16 5AY, Scotland.
      It's rather difficult for me to get in touch with Byron.  It
would be best for me to wait until you've actually had a chance to
make the Xeroxes, because he'll want to know when you're going to
SEND them to him -- I'm sure that'll be his first question.  Or do you
know an answer to that already?  If so, tell me tomorrow, and I can
see what I can do right away!

      MARK:  The Comics Journal has an article about Disney comics?
Hooray!  In what issue?  When?  (I want to have my comic shop order
it -- they don't get much call for that mag in Scotland)

      DWIGHT:  I always find the Blum and Ault articles interesting
and enjoyable.  I just simply don't find the stories quite as
disturbing as they do -- but the elements are there if you want to
interpret them that way.  I FILL my scripts with "dark" elements,
hoping to give something suitably grim to fans of that kind of thing.
In my "Animal Farm" parody (the Pig story) Vicar went along with it a
bit.  And after I was finished with the script, I sat around trying
to analyze my subconscious from what I had written.  ;-)
      Many of your translations in the first period of Gladstone were
simply "intermediate" steps -- you'd translate a Dutch or Italian
story, and then someone else would do the final "dialogue" on it.
But now, you both translate and dialogue.  In the case of "The Money
Ocean," which of the two systems took place?  Did you do a dialogue
which was adhered to, save that one explanation of Scrooge's
business enterprises?  Or was your work an intermediate step?
      In Part 1 of "Lentils from Babylon," I simplified Scarpa's
explanation of something, only to have Gladstone make it MORE
complicated again.  I hope they don't do that in Chapter 3, when a
very intricate plot mechanism is revealed and I tried to explain
things as clearly as possible.
      Regarding use of American film:  There is a German Disney
comic called DISNEY LIMIT which mixes Duck and Mickey stories with
Disney Afternoon stories, both from Disney Adventures and from the
long-gone drove of Disney Comics TV titles.  They have to use
American film, and the problem is that unlike Egmont film, it has
unremovable lettering of sound effects and titles on it.  I've seen a
Roger Rabbit story in one issue with word balloons relettered in
German, but they just had to stick the German title beside a
full-color American title, and all the sound effects are in English
(it's almost eyestrain reading the thousands of them, that are in a
typical Roger Rabbit story.)

      JORGEN:  You didn't give issue numbers for the reprinted Xmas
Parade stories -- and I wouldn't mind if you wrote something about
what they were like, since I don't have any old Xmas Parades.  Why
buy a 100-page 1951 comic when you can buy a 64-page 1942 comic for
the same price?  People pay very inflated prices for those giant
comics.  ;-)