More database stuff

Fredrik Ekman ekman at lysator.liu.se
Sun Dec 18 03:10:40 CET 1994

Anders wrote:
>Extras? Like those facsimiles of old issues that have been included
>occasionally? In those cases I just added a bit of text, e.g.
>'91-48 was delivered with a facsimile of 48-03'.

That is exactly what I meant, and I think that that is what Jorgen meant,
too, when assigning these a special code, like '1991-48E' if I remember
correctly.

B-nummer, which Harry mentioned, is something different again. These
should be counted as separate titles and put in separate files, as is now
being done.

Jorgen:

I think you should try to sort out your format differences with Harry.
The whole idea with having one standardized format for all comics is
defeated otherwise. Your point about using '1994' rather than '94' is
valid. What do you say, Harry?

Your comments about normalization of codes have struck me too. The
normalization process is for simplified sorting. Couldn't we have some
kind of "denormalization" of the output files, making searches easier
even if one is not aware of this normalization? Or is there some point in
leaving the codes be in output files as well?

The problem with exceeding 80 characters on one line has been discussed
before and as long as we stick with the "one story, one line" principle
there must always be a trade-off. More information will mean longer lines
and it will never be possible to stay within the 80 character boundary
for every entry.

  /F