Disney-humans

P.M. Floore PMF at ivip.frw.uva.nl
Mon Dec 19 14:19:44 CET 1994

This morning I was browsing the Disney E-mail messages about the
Notre Duck story. I read this story in the Dutch DD when I was about 6
or 7 and in fact it was the only story I kept before I started to
collect DD again. I always found it an intrigueing and 'gothic' story
but I never knew why. Maybe it was because it was published as a
sequel in the Dutch DD and the masked piper became more mysterious as
I had to wait a week for the end of the story.
But it made me think about the more mysterious Barks tales and to my
opinion they all featured humans (semi-caricatural to be sure). For
instance: Ancient Persia, Secret agent triple XXX, the strange geese
tendress in the Golden Feathers story, the northwest coast Indians in
Land of the Totempoles and there are more. Marten Toonder (NL)
(remember the Toonder discussion a few weeks ago?) also used humans
in his (mostly animal) stories to a greater effect.
To my opinion, the role of those humans made the Ducks look more alien
(or they were more alien for the Ducks) but also tinier,if you look
at the furniture and buildings, and in general they were pretty
threatening for the Duck family. It even looked if Uncle $ was less
powerfull in spite of his wealth.
When the humans disappeared and the dogs took over, it seemed that
the proportions in the Duck universum also shrunk to fit the Ducks.
Q: Was it a Barks development or was there an ukase from the office of
the big leveller WD Corp. and is it visible in other Disney output?

Groeten, Pieter Floore (from were they tulips grow)

PS:Speaking of Amsterdam, did anyone remember the dynamite HANS
BRINKER story with the enormous clog drifting around? Where there any
tulips involved?
PSPS: Willy Vandersteen (for foreigners: the Belgian
with an almost bigger
production than WD) used a similar idea for a SUSKE and WISKE story:
The Flying Clog.