Artists rights

Mark Mayerson mayerson at sidefx.sidefx.com
Wed Dec 21 22:43:06 CET 1994

Mikko Henri Juhani Aittola wrote:
> I disagree totally with you. When publisher buys art from
> artist the publisher should only buy the rights to PUBLISH
> that art. The art itself belongs to artist.

Everything is negotiable.  If a publisher wants to buy the original art
in addition to the reproduction rights, all the publisher has to do is
come to terms with artist.

The problem comes when a publisher just buys reproduction rights and
wants the original art thrown in as part of the bargain, or prevents
the artist from selling the original art elsewhere.

If Don Rosa were to determine that he could get $100 a page for his
originals from collectors and Egmont offered to pay him $100 per page
on top of the fee for reproduction, Don wouldn't necessarily be against
it.