Torsten on the LO$ Title

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Wed Jan 5 04:35:48 CET 1994

	Dear Folks,

	I said the other day that the title "The Life and Times of
Uncle $crooge McDuck" (as applied to Don's twelve-part biography) was
suspiciously similar to the Celestial Arts popular edition of 1987,
"Uncle $crooge McDuck:  His Life and Times."  Torsten responded that
one reason there WOULDN'T be any confusion is that "I would be
surprised if any comic book store dealers even knew about Barks'
[Celestial Arts] book, or even Barks, period."

	Actually, Torsten, I found few comprehensive bookstores in the
1987-91 period that didn't seem to have the book.  Same goes for comic
stores.  The bigger outlets of both variety seemed to generally have
at least one copy.  Seems to have sold well, too, though I'll still
see an occasional copy gathering dust somewhere.

	As for how many comic shop owners know about Carl Barks, I
find that most who I've talked to not only do, but a large percentage
complain that not enough people are buying their Disneys and they
can't understand why... because they like them a lot more than a lot
of the stuff they tend to sell lots of.  Of course, there's always
someone like the guy I talked to last week who said, "We keep the
Disneys down below the Harveys and Archies, since older people like
the Harveys and Archies more, and in fact we don't order all the
Disneys since no one minds if we miss some of them."

	I can easily postulate the solution:  this one shop has
charged unbelievably high prices for Dell Disneys for years.  I find
that the places which sell back issues at a good rate also tend to be
the ones who attract continuing Gladstone customers.

	Also:  Mattias, I haven't done any work for Disney since
spring of 1992.  Did you think I was still doing things for them?
Perhaps one day I'll write some MM story books for their publication
division (a secret wish of mine), but we'll just see about that when
the time comes.

	Zassall for now, folks.

	Your friend,

	David Gerstein

	"Now will Petrolio de Balonio de Donald Ducko PAY for his
Christmas dinner, or will he wash dishes in *my* kitchen?"
	<David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>