Disney-comics digest #212.

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at CompuServe.COM
Sat Jan 15 07:04:27 CET 1994

RoC:
	Thanks very much for that translation of the Marco Rota
interview! That was great.
	But you also prefaced it with some other paragraphs, and I see
my name in one section:
	"Don't, oh please don't type more of it, Don, I can see that you
labored over it. Though I couldn't spot a single error, I think that
'I'm a better writer than Don Rosa' (to be quoted out of context)."
	Naturally, since my name is involved, this paragraph is of
interest to me, but I can no more make any sense out of any of it than
if it were in Swedish or Brutopian. I should please not type more of
WHAT? I labored over WHAT? You couldn't spot a single error in WHAT?
Where does the "I'm a better writer than DR" line come from, if
anywhere? What's quoted out of context? Trying to read this and make
sense out of any of it made me feel like I suddenly became dyslexic!
What was this paragraph all about anyway?

HARRY:
	No, you're right, Barks has made more use of the JWW emblem in
the paintings of the past 20 years than he ever did in the comics. I
don't think he used the initial-emblem more than a half-dozen times in
the old comics... maybe not even that many. But you DID say that the
Dutch use the "JWW" because the Dutch translation of the name of the
Junior Woodchucks of the World is made of words that ALSO have "J.W.W."
as the initials -- isn't that right??? If that is true, then Holland
could make very good use of my alterations to "GotLL" to add the
plot-twist that involves those the "JWW" emblem.

	After reading the various explanations of the pun in "Yussaf
Aiper", I have come to the conclusion that there IS no pun in "Yussaf
Aiper". It's just a name.

	Interesting news about Gladstone's use of my Lo$ series: they
just heard back from Disney about approval on part 3. Disney is
requiring Gladstone to alter the art on pages 3 and 4 to remove the guns
being pointed in $crooge's face. Apparently it's okay to show guns, but
they can only be used for shooting into the ceiling to get people's
attention or something. I think they'll take the photostat art and twist
the gun hands to point the guns upward rather than Duckward. I really
don't object to this -- maybe it's such a tiny change as to be silly?
But Disney has told Gladstone (or warned them?) that they allow many
things in my stories that they'd never allow in any other Disney tales
since they feel that my stories are aimed more at older readers anyway.
This is nice to know, and it shows an encouraging attitude on Disney's
part that they are willing to understand and allow the idea that Disney
comic books can and should have different sorts of stories for different
sorts of readers, and not just shoot at the lowest common denominator. I
hope readers of the Egmont Disneys in places like Sweden or Denmark can
convince those editors of this concept as well!