Disney-comics digest #212.

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Sat Jan 15 18:02:26 CET 1994

	Hi, Folks!

	A few things to comment on today.

	Rota on Gottfredson
	===================

	"I basically think, that the duck universe is easier
 to make homogenous and effective than Mickey Mouse and his gallery.
 With Mickey you take a risk of making him a little man, and that's not
 desirable. But often you see him drawn in a way that if you took off
 his head, you are left with a bad caricature of a human. The humerous
 and poetic has also diminished by the removal of the short pants, so
 now you've got a somewhat dull humanoid, that in terms of expressive-
 ness can not compete with the ducks."

	I'LL SAY!!  I'm surprised Rota praised Murry early in his
interview, when he later had the guts (which I applaud) to say a thing
like this -- and also to criticize those who made Mickey "a detective
who worked almost mechanically with the police".  Sounds like Rota may
like some elements of Murry's art, but not his scripts... which
actually WEREN'T his most of the time, but Carl Fallberg's and Don
Christiansen's (BTW:  the Christiansen-written stories from 1953-55
tend to be closer to Gottfredson's Mouse... I sure like the
personality a lot more).

	ROC described
	=============

	a new Finnish DD which included 27 pages of Dutch stories,
including the same 10-page Jippes which was in WDC&S 511, and also a
Mau Heymans story.  Am I meant to take it that the Heymans one is 17
pages long?  If not, what is the third story?  And is either the
Heymans story or the other one worthy of reprint here, BTW?

	Harry Fluks
	===========

	"once saw a reprint of a Gottfredson story in a pocket book
(some "ghost" story from the 40s)."  This would be "The Ghost of Black
Brian," actually from 1951 I believe, and I have the German edition of
the pocket book which I think is Lustige Taschenbuch Nr. 78 ("Micky Auf
Gespensterjagd").  This is an absolutely top book, BTW... besides that
pretty good Walsh/Gottfredson story, there's also Scarpa's "Blot's
Double Mystery".  And some Donald stories.  The "Black Brian" story is
the *only* instance I know of a Gottfredson story being in one of the
pocket books.

	I-1948, MM as Court Troubador
	=============================

	I've forgotten who mentioned this story and where it appeared,
but it was described as being a MM story where Mickey went to the
studio -- as he does in "The Brave Little Tailor" and "The Robinson
Crusoe Adventure" -- to make a film, and made one about being in
medieval times.  In the story, he was shown with pie-eyes, so this
would seem to be based on the 1933 cartoon "Ye Olden Days".  I'd like
to know more about this and how I might obtain it.

	Yussuf Aiper
	============

	I thought of "you'se a viper" too, but it seemed too
improbable to me!  I'm STUCK!  Boy, if Gottfredson hadn't passed on to
that big mouse-hole in the sky I'd sure have a question for him...

	I wonder if he ever dreamed that one day about a sixth of his
entire output would be banned from reprint.

	To Mark Semich
	==============

	John Clark told me yesterday that next week will indeed see
the appearance of "The Hoard at the Rainbow's End".  Can we work out a
deal as we did for WDC&S 589?

	* * * * *

	That's all for now.

	Yours,

	David Gerstein

	"I'm sure glad I hate yuh!  'Cause if I didn't hate yuh, I'd
have to like yuh, and I don't *wanna* like yuh, because I *hate* yuh
too much!"
	<David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>