Disney-comics digest #216.

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at CompuServe.COM
Wed Jan 19 06:15:55 CET 1994

WILMER:
	If my Lo$ series has appeared in the Egmont countries already,
why might it not appear in America? Does Disney hold Gladstone in
tighter control than they do Egmont? Buh-ruther, I'll say! Disney has no
control over Egmont whatsoever! Egmont commissions the script and art of
about 5000 pages of Disney comics every year and puts it into print
around the world and several other places, and Disney doesn't see a bit
of it until they receive their issues. Egmont acts as if they own the
comic book versions of the Disney characters, which is only right. That
would make more sense than for Disney to own material they never had
anything to do with. As long as Dell is gone, Egmont and Oberon and
Gladstone should share joint custody of the characters -- but the world
isn't always fair. But, at least Egmont can conduct business as if they
owned the characters.
	Before Gladstone can print my stories, they must be sent to
Disney for approval and this is the first time anyone at Disney has seen
the stuff (since you KNOW nobody opens the issues that are sent to them
from the foreign publishers). And they then make a decision based on
their idea of how much grief they want from the American readership of
comics produced by Egmont and published by Gladstone. And if it's okay
in Europe, why would it not be okay in America? You must realize that we
live in the world's most crybaby, self-serving society where nobody has
a sense of humor or tolerance of anything that might even remotely
approach the edge of the fringe of the tip of a stereotype of something
that might, maybe, could be thought to refer to THEIR group.

HARRY:
	I understand the problem GP (that's what I can call Oberon now?)
would have with my Family Tree. We probably covered this already... but
what are the last names that are used in the Netherlands for $crooge and
Grandma??? In America, $crooge's last name is (of course) McDuck, so he
MUST be from Donald's MOTHER'S side of the family. And Grandma's last
name is Duck, so she MUST be from Donald's FATHER'S side. It can be no
other way (ruling out divorces and remarriages or other inappropriate
ideas). How can it be any other way in Holland? Do $crooge and Grandma
and Donald all have the same last name? And even so, that would
necessitate the idea that Grandma's last name was Duck even before she
married someone ALSO named Duck. I just get very confused when people
tell me that anyone thinks $crooge and Grandma could be siblings.

PER:
	More folks who'd like to try the Digest:
COMPUSERVE --
	Mark Clegg  72773,661
	Dario Broggini 100115,552 (in Italy)
	Age Lybekbraten 100273,1462 (in Norway)

LASTLY--
	Does anyone here know anything at all about a German comic
convention which will be held this June 2-5 in Nuremberg?