Disney-comics digest #217.

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at CompuServe.COM
Thu Jan 20 06:28:56 CET 1994

DAVID:
	Status of "The War of the Wendigo"? I have news for you. it has
been printed in North American comic books! It was in the edition of
DISNEY'S MUNDO MAGICO published for all areas of the Western Hemisphere
except Canada and the U.S. They even went to the trouble of finding a
cover with DD and HDL in their JWW suits in a canoe in the North-lookin'
woods. And with SPARKLE paint on the cover, too.
	As for Gladstone, they'll just wait a while longer and then send
it in with a monthly load of stuff for approval. Probably a new guy will
see it this time and not feel like it will seriously harm relations with
Native Americans who wish to believe their people ARE enemies of the
environment and who are afraid that people will think they're all
midgets who hide in the woods.
	By the way (and this is for everyone here) -- something you need
to remember about this Disney censoring business. Aside from the fact
they have no interest in the comics, there's another reason why they
MUST find stuff to censor. There are people whose job it is is to look
at the comics and find stuff to be ordered removed. If they DON'T FIND
something that needs to be removed, they are eliminating their own jobs!
They don't want the comics to seem like they don't NEED editting... they
MUST find something that they can save America from seeing so that they
have a reason to be employed.

HARRY:
	Okay, back to Grandma: you ask why can't Grandma's name be
McDuck and her married name be Duck? No reason -- I only said that she
if her last name is Duck, then she MUST be from Donald's FATHER'S side
of the family. But in Holland is Grandma thought to be Donald's MOTHER?
If she is considered to be his grandmother, it wouldn't matter what her
last name was.
	But the important question I was asking you was whether Grandma
and $crooge have the same last name in Holland, and you say they do.
Then, if she is DD's mother, she must have married another "Duck"; her
name is Elvira Duck-Duck, eh? If she is DD's grandmother, it would need
to be on his father's side ... but then $crooge wouldn't be DD's uncle.
	In America, Grandma can't be a McDuck-turned-Duck unless (as you
want) she is DD's mother and U$'s scottish sister. Why can't this be
true? Well, I guess the only reason is that it's not the idea I ever got
from reading the American comics and it's not, as it turns out, Barks'
intention. She seems to clearly be DD's grandmother and to be of an old
American farm family with no particular relation to $crooge in the
stories. So that's the way I worked it.
	Well, if one decides that grandma is not DD's grandma, I guess
that would open up other possibilities than the version I used. But then
you might as well decide that Gladstone isn't his cousin and $crooge
isn't his uncle and just do whatever you like.
	I still maintain that the original version, Barks' version, the
version that seems apparent from reading the (American) comics, the
version I used is so much SIMPLER than any other. Everyone has TWO sides
to their family... a family tree must show that.
	So, what WILL GP do when they get to my chapter where Grandma's
son marries $crooge's sister? They hafta do SOMETHING. What do you
expect they'll do?

ANDY:
	You ask why Disney insists on censoring the comics if they have
no respect for them? Doesn't that question answer itself? If they HAD
respect for the comics, then they WOULDN'T censor things that might be
found offensive by one person in North America. But I think I answered
your question in the same Digest where it appeared -- Disney has no
interest in the contents of the comics... all they want is as little
trouble as possible from their publication. Disney is not interested in
"art". There was only one time in their history when they were
interested in "art" -- when they did FANTASIA. And it flopped and that
was the end of that.

PER:
	I'm curious about these "unsubscribers". Do you ever hear any
reason why they unsubscribe unless it's due to some lack of time to read
these Digests? But even if they aren't reading them, aren't they getting
them for free (as long as they aren't on COMPUSERVE)? I mean, if they
were interested in a BBS concerning Disney comic art, what more could
they possibly want than what's going on here??? They know this is about
COMIC BOOKS when they subscribe, right? They knew this wasn't going to
be a bunch of pin-back button collectors here, right?