Disney-comics digest #219.

Don Rosa 72260.2635 at compuserve.com
Sat Jan 22 08:14:04 CET 1994

FIRSTLY:
	I just had LOTS of trouble getting my antique, steam-powered,
1990 computer going. So, if I disappear from posting messages here, it's
because my computer broke down, and I'll be trying to get back as soon
as possible.

DAVID:
	Russ Schroeder is not the only person censoring the art and
stories for Gladstone. There are several people who pass judgement on
the comics, but Russ is probably the only one of them that's ever SEEN a
comic book before. It was someone else that told Gladstone to omit all
the Scottish accents from my Lo$ stories; but Gladstone seems to have
the ability to call Russ for final judgement and in this case contested
the idea that a Scotch accent would be insulting -- and I think Russ
said to go ahead with the accents and not worry about it. Disney is a
corporation where "art" is by committee; nobody wants to do anything on
their own in order to protect themselves from looking like they've made
a mistake. For instance, David Seidman took the "War of the Wendigo"
story to about a dozen different people in the Disney corporate
structure asking if it was okay to use a story with Indians -- everyone
thought it was okay except that LAST guy. He'd kept showing it to people
until he found one who objected, and that veto by someone who just
didn't want to be bothered was all it took. That's how it works at
Disney.

TORSTEN:
	Yes, there are items at check-out lanes that don't sell in the
millions. Ever notice their size? The calorie booklets are TINY. I'm
trying to impress on you that this is a matter of physical space. And
the grocery store DOESN'T "own" that space once the space on the rack
has been bought by a publisher. The publisher owns the space, and they
pay LOTS for it. I mean LOTS!!! Consider the size of the Disney Digest
compared to a Gladstone comic. And Gladstone couldn't just buy that
space for California or Arizona -- they'd hafta buy it for the entire
nation. And again, why would TIME or LIFE agree to relinquish their
space for Gladstone, even if Gladstone had the money to buy space for
just one comic? And which comic would that be? And.... (whew!)
	Why isn't there an international emblem for the Junior
Woodchucks? Because we don't need one. The "JWW" symbol I use is the
original and it works just fine... all we need to do is add it to the
art. Why not have an international symbol for $crooge's money bin
instead of that dollar sign. No, we'll just let them add the dollar sign
in the Gladstone editions -- isn't that a better idea?
	The JWW history? I have pretty much done a history of the Junior
Woodchucks between the Lo$ and the GotLL. Just keep watching (although
it will be almost 2 years before you'll see that Lo$ chapter.
	Why don't I do some Horatio Hornblower jokes? I think you mean
Horatio ALGIER, right? He was the author of stories of youngsters
working their way to riches. Hornblower was C.S.Forester's British naval
hero c. 1800.