Big Bad Jewish Wolf...again!

Mattias Hallin Mattias.Hallin at jurenh.lu.se
Mon Jan 24 14:47:56 CET 1994

DAVID et al.:

             I spent an instructive half hour this week-end with the
videoplayer and my copy of Three Little Pigs... and this videoplayer has a
jog/shuttle function, so I've watched the "Fuller Brush Man" sequence backwards
and forwards, one frame at a time -- and these are my conclusions:

YES! There is IMHO a distinct cut in the animation, indicating VERY STRONGLY
that at least major parts of this sequence as we see it today has been
added/exchanged at a later date than the original animation. These indications
are e.g. the appearance of the Wolf himself, and also the colouring and minute
appearance of the background, as well as the general styles of animation.

The changes are most clearly visible at the very end of the sequence,
just when he says "Then I'll huff and I'll puff...etc." -- at that point there
is a clear cut, where the shot changes from a full view to a half view of the
Wolf's upper body. Here, one can clearly see that in the NEWER animation, the
Wolf has a sturdier body, a longer AND whiter-coloured snout and less slanted
eyes than in the OLDER. Also, there is a distinct change in the quality of the
colour in the background, while several objects in the background also changes
colour: the Wolf's disguise-hat gets a grey hatband added, the brush on the
ground behind the Wolf changes from grey to yellow, while a brush in the
foreground goes from brown to green...

Also, although this is a more subtle point, and more of a matter of opinion, I'd
say that the STYLE of animation differs too -- that the additions are smoother
and the original animation jerkier...

As far as I could make out, though, there is indeed a difference between what
the wolf SAYS, and what his lips seem to say... ("read my lips..." Yeah.)

Mattias