Strobl and S-coded stories (Re: Anders)

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Tue Jun 28 14:31:10 CEST 1994

Anders Engwall, about Strobl's "S-coded" stories from the early 70s:

> And this is why I like them so much. May I add that IMO the unusually sharp
> wit of the scripts lends a more "adult" feel to these stories than there is in
> any other Disney comics I've seen.

Unfortunately, maybe only one of these stories has been reprinted in
Holland, so I can't give an opinion on that.

> However, the qualities mentioned above are not featured only within this
> newspaper office set-up. There were several other stories with equally witty
> scripts published in Sweden ca 1969-72 (S-coded? Hard to tell as story codes
> weren't printed in Sweden until 1972).

Any story involving Fethry is either "S-coded" or Italian. Italian stories
can be recognised from 1 km distance, so you must be talking about "S-coded"
stories.

(For those who wonder what we're talking about: Disney USA produces
comic stories especially for the 'foreign market'. These stories have
a code starting with S. For more information see the file 'story-codes' on
ftp.)

> Many of them included that bearded
> hillbilly character that doesn't seem to have a name in English
> ("Skogs-Ola" in Swedish, "Urtigao" in Portuguese).

None of these stories were reprinted in Holland (nor the USA, I guess).

> I wish I could refer to
> these more exactly, but the swedish index (sweden.dbl) is far from complete,

It only contains Swedish reprints of old Western (Dell) stories, adapted
from Kjell Crone's index. Feel free to complete the index 8-).

> and the s-code index (s.dbl) is even less enlightening

This file contains all the "S-coded" stories that HAVE a code in the USA or
Dutch reprint. Apart from that, there are dozens of stories that were reprinted
without code in Holland, so I could not include them in the 's.dbl' file
(since the story code is the 'key' on that file).

> (It's fun trying to decrypt all those Dutch titles, though!).

I have the same fun trying to read Ole's Danish titles...
But still, I would like all titles to be in English.

--Harry.

"I Costa Rica t=E5l de inte att min rika r=E5kost r=E5kar kosta mer
 =E4n rostad r=E4kost"
(A bit disturbed Swedish quote I got somewhere, long ago...)