Emil Eagle

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Tue Mar 1 00:13:29 CET 1994

	Dear Folks,

	There has been talk of Emil Eagle in these ranks lately.
People have talked as if he has not appeared for quite a while.

	But... but... Emil was the villain in US 282's Gyro story, not
seven months ago!  A halfway decent story, although Emil was not
portrayed as being threatening -- just a Glomgold-like antagonist for
Gyro, with a bit of Gladstone Gander thrown in.

	Emil has mixed with nearly everyone.  His first appearance,
though, was with Gyro somewhere around US 55 (it's in our "us" index,
I can't recall it just now) in a story "The Evil Inventor."  In the
early 1970s he appeared as the villain in a lot of mediocre Mickey
stories;  he has matched against Super Goof;  and as noted, he has
been a villain of Duck and Gyro stories made by Egmont.

	His last appearance prior to US 282 in this country was in one
of Disney Comics' MICKEY MOUSE ADVENTURES issues (#14).  That story,
the most Marvelesque of any Disney Comics MM, made reference back to
some 1970s Murry story, but not to Gyro in any way (although Gyro WAS
in some of Paul Murry's Mickey stories... those of you who read USA 22
know how Murry draws Gyro.)

	Actually, I once saw a super Daniel Branca Gyro story with
Emil as the villain -- about 1989.  I noted that this was unusual,
because I usually find Egmont's Gyro stories very inadequate...
although the recent "Hot Seat" story in US 284 was quite funny as
well.  Let me modify that statement -- I basically dislike Egmont's
Gyro _solo_ stories.

	Anyway, I think that Emil can be a good character in the
Glomgold-for-Gyro type of role, but his finest hour has yet to come.
What's remarkable is that he's lasted this long...

	Yours,

	David Gerstein
	<David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>

	[BTW Someone asked about Moby Duck... This character came out
of the Wonderful World of Disney about the same time as Ludwig Von
Drake -- and he had his own title for many years, when it was LUDWIG
who really deserved to have one!  I for one am very glad we have not
seen Moby since 1984...]