Disney-comics digest #258.

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Fri Mar 4 02:42:27 CET 1994

	Dear Folks,

	Mattias saw that I had his quote from a Tom and Jerry cartoon
down correctly.  Then he said:  "...yup! Thass right! But whut abaht
mah other quote: "If yer ever down in Texas, look me up!", then???
Eh...?"

	From ANOTHER Tom and Jerry cartoon, "Pecos Pest" with Jerry's
Uncle Pecos.  "Oh, froggie went a-courtin' an' he did ride --
crambooo!"  Actually that one's always kinda bothered me, since toward
the end of the film, human beings actually imply that they can
understand Uncle Pecos, because they know his name when announcing him
in a vaudeville show...

	I find Barks' MGM-character eight-pagers from the mid-'40s at
least as good as the Duck ten-pagers of the time.  In particular in
1946... the Duck material for that year is undoubtedly the heaviest on
rivalry between Don and the kids, with all of them shown in a VERY
unflattering light.  Perhaps 1946 is the year in which I find the
ducks of the Barks stories to have the least depth.

	My Egmont stories
	=================

	It's gonna be a long, LO-OOO-ONG time until we see any of my
Egmont stories from Gladstone.  There's a chance that my first one has
been drawn now, but there's about a eight-month lag between when the
story is finished, and when it's printed by Egmont... if not longer.

	The three stories I have sold so far are:

	Uncle Scrooge in "Two in One" -- art by Daniel Branca (this is
the only one which has yet been sent to an artist).  Scrooge vs.
Magica de Spell in perhaps the most screwloose battle they have ever
had.  And Magica has quite a battle with herself, too.  Just wait...

	Donald Duck in "Pork-Barrel Politics."  Donald trains
Grandma's three piglets Napoleon, Snowball, and Squealer, with hopes
to earn big money with an animal act.  But when the pigs seem too dumb
to learn the tricks, Donald brings in Gyro's Think Boxes... BIG
mistake.  You'd think he'd have learned from last time...

	Donald Duck in "Rolling in Dough."  Scrooge has opened a
pastry factory, making baked goods with a very special secret
ingredient from Gyro Gearloose.  On the day before Scrooge's factory
personell start work, Scrooge is going away on a business trip, and
hires Donald to guard the mysterious secret from other companies'
industrial spies.  But it isn't spies who show up -- does the number
176 mean anything to you?

	The three are 10, 11, and 12 pages in that order.  But once
again, it's unlikely we will see the first one until 1995, and the
next two may wait until 1996.

	I'm now finishing the first of three Mickeys I've arranged
to do.  The time lag here may not be so great with Egmont because they
hardly have enough Mickeys as it is, but it will undoubtedly be great
with Gladstone, because the only outlet for non-FG MM stories, D&M, is
usually booked up...

	BTW, I hear a lot of complaints around here about the Goofy
History stories.  If you'd rather see something else, write to
Gladstone!  And write a LOT.  When I last discussed the Goofys with
John, he said that response was not negative enough to stop them, but
that they would be alternated with other stories from now on.  What
does everyone here think?  Good idea?  Bad?  WRITE!!!

	The Secret of Mars

	I too am disappointed that you will not see this with my
dialogue appended to it, Mark.

	That's all for now, folks.

	David Gerstein
	<David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>