Disney-comics digest #283.

Harry Fluks H.W.Fluks at research.ptt.nl
Tue Mar 29 11:06:00 CEST 1994

(Whew! A digest of old-fashioned size!)

I asked Fredrik about the Easter issue of Kalle Anka & Co.:

> > Could you describe this oil?

> (...) It depicts donald and the nephews in the car. (...)

You're describing the opening scene of Barks' first Vacation Parade story
(with the forest fire), so I know now which oil has been reproduced. Thank you.

Geir about Don's story "Nobody's Business":

> However, the visual gag with Gladstone in the last panel was lost in
> Norway, they simply removed the G and did nothing to the dialogue.

Same in Holland. But I think it is still a good gag, even if you don't have
the extra information of a publisher named Gladstone. There was no need to
change the dialogue.

Don about JACK CHALKER'S "INFORMAL BIOGRAPHY OF $CROOGE McDUCK":
> One might guess that he had the idea that the only $crooge stories that
> Barks did were those in U$, and that someone had told him that Barks
> wrote everything in the first 71 issues (..)
> I know the guy must have known better than this

The book also has a Scrooge bibliography by Kim Weston, who worked with
Mike Barrier on the most complete Barks bibliography. So he should have
known better.

Don again:
> 	The other book that is never more than a foor from my elbow is
> Mark Worden's similarly sized complete Barks index.

People who want a copy of that: wait for a while. As some of you may remember,
I am working on a Disney Comics Database. The first thing I am doing is to
compile a complete Carl Barks index, with a lot of data from Barrier (but not
the story descriptions) and as much reprint information as possible. In
one or two months, we should have a file on ftp that has all the information
about Barks' stories in any format you want.

Hm.. I better put NOT FOR SALE on the first lines of the files...

And yes Don, Dwight Decker is on this mailing list.

Fredrik replied to Geir about Don's Son of the Sun:

> "Son of the Sun" (with the possible exception of "Return to Xanadu") is
> absolutely my favourite Rosa.

Art has always been an important part of a comic story to me. I agree with Don
that his art on his first story is far from what it should be (and could have
been, if he had drawn it a few years later). That's one of the main reasons I
don't put "Son of the Sun" in my Rosa top-5.
Now "Return to Xanadu" is another thing. It is a very good story AND it has
beautiful art.

> (End of digest.)

Ah, finally 8-)

--Harry.