Mickey and Red Cat on Mars

Wilmer Rivers rivers at seismo.CSS.GOV
Thu May 5 06:46:58 CEST 1994

David Gerstein writes about "Mickey and Red Cat in an Adventure on
Mars", a 1972 story from the Egyptian Disney weekly "Miki".  This
story is a real humdinger:
> The Martians, who own a time machine, brought ancient
> Egyptians to Mars thousands of years before, and (!) they're still
> there.  Mickey enlists the ancient Egyptians to contact ancient Egypt
> through some device in the time machine.  The ancient Egyptians on the
> other end fire rockets -- shaped like mummies -- at Mars, and the
> mummies hit the palace, knocking out Red Cat and the other villains.
> This sounds like a good candidate for the most completely
> implausible Disney comic story ever produced anywhere on the planet.

Not only that, but it has a number of similarities to one of the story
arcs in the Dr. Who TV series, which featured (if I remember correctly;
ask the rec.arts.drwho newsgroup if you want the real details!) an
invasion of present-day earth from Mars by the Egyptian god Anubis
using a time machine.  However, these episodes of Dr. Who would have
been filmed years after the publication of the Egytian comic (if that
indeed was in 1972), so the writer couldn't have borrowed the idea
from the BBC.  And I seriously doubt that the BBC borrowed the idea
from the Egyptian comic book, so this whole weird concept must have
occurred to 2 people independently...

Wilmer Rivers