Disney-comics digest #322.

David A Gerstein David.A.Gerstein at williams.edu
Sun May 8 19:58:25 CEST 1994

	Dear Fredrik (and everyone),

	The Egyptian _Miki_ cover I saw reproduced in that book was
not by the same artist as the crossword puzzle.  In fact, the cover
wasn't exactly bad, just weird.  Since you mention the pie-cuts in the
eyes as being very small on the one you saw, I would wager that this
is either the same artist or someone influenced by that artist.

	The crossword puzzle which I saw reproduced was much, much
worse than anything I have EVER seen by Giuseppe Perego.  It in fact
looks like Mickey as I drew him when I was about ten years old
(although I drew him with pie-eyes then... I far preferred the 1930s
version at that age, although since I've gotten used to the 1939-1942
FG Mouse as well).

	This was REEEEEAALLLLY bad, folks.  I mean, Mickey's open
mouth had been filled in with black, and the black actually went out
of the mouth-outline in a few places.  It is hard to believe this was
actually published.

	There was also a Donald crossword puzzle shown from a
different issue.  A passable picture of Donald, dressed with a
Pharaoh-like headdress, but obviously copied from a superior picture
somewhere else.  The Mickey drawing seemed to have been done from
scratch.  Ecccccch.

	No drawings from the Mars story were reproduced.  The Egyptian
comics of the day also featured a serial set in Ancient Egypt (with a
human lead), though, and if the artist for the Mickey Mars story was
the same as the artist on that (a few panels from which were
reproduced), then it probably looked better than this crossword
puzzle...

	Ah, what a weary world we live in.

	David Gerstein
	<David.A.Gerstein at Williams.edu>
	"I'm de Fuller Brush Man!  I'm givin' g'way free semple!"